by Debbie Butler
“What is this world coming to?” I would hear my granny say while watching the news. The enormous events happening in her world were causing a sense of apprehension. As a Christian, she would compare the news to Bible verses on the signs of the “End of the Age”.
This was in the late 1960s to the early 1970s. Things like man landing on the moon or the Charles Manson murders, the dreaded computer bar code, (the answer to our dreams or the mark of the beast.) In 1970 there was a cyclone in Bangladesh with a death toll of 300,000 souls. In 1972 we had Bloody Sunday in Ireland and Black September in Munich and war in Vietnam. What was her world coming too?
When I take that same look at my world I wonder too, where this world is headed. Am I living in the end of the age?
Here is the world we live in:
- War everywhere, country against country and countries imploding upon themselves
- Ebola, Aids, Flu of every kind and antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- Famine found on every continent
- Greed and Lust, we never have enough money, sport figures making millions or millions addicted to porn.
- Acts of violence designed to terrify us found globally in every age group, or gender.
- Natural Disasters; Haiti earthquake in 2010 killed 222,570, Floods and hurricanes destroying land and property in addition to lives, Record heat, cold, snow, drought and melting polar ice
- Lastly children killing children
What does our Lord have to say about these “Signs of the End of the Age”? (Mt 10:17-22, Mk 13:21-17, Lk 21:5-36 NIV)
- You will hear of wars and rumor of wars
- Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom
- There will be earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, fearful events
- Brother will betray brother to death and a father his child
- Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death
- There will be signs in the sun moon and stars
- On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.
- Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, …
Does any of this sound familiar while listening to our news today?
What if we turn around and look at the past, could they have been living in the end of the age too?
- 1556, Shaanxi, China the deadliest earthquake in history, 830,000 people killed
- In 1665 the Great Plague, an outbreak of the Bubonic Plague, killed 15% of the population in and around England.
- 1775 American Revolution
- S. Civil War 1861/65 – 620,000 Americans die
- 1908 earthquake in Southern Italy, kills 150,000
- Spanish Flu (Influenza) outbreak 1918/19 killed 50 million people worldwide.
- WWI, 1914/18, total of 16,000,000 military and civilian.
- WWII, 1939/1945, 60,000,000 (6,000,000 Jewish) die.
I think you see my point; the end of the age has been with us, I would guess 2000 years.
Jesus tells us;
Be ready then; for at a time which you have no thought of the Son of man will come. Who is the true and wise servant, whom his lord has put over those in his house, to give them their food at the right time? A blessing on that servant, who will be doing so when his lord comes. (Matthew 24:44-46 BBE)
Are you the faithful servant taking care of your masters business? Using the gifts He has given you? Are you serving those in his house? If not, look up and see that we are living in the End of the Age and we need to be about his business because no one knows when the master will return except the Father. Be brave and be that faithful servant.